Sunday, March 15, 2009

Communalism and Liberalism fight for my heart

I had a English education. I stayed in a cosmopolitan place. I grew up as a secular person. I then started reading history, participating in internet discussions. I realized much of the history I knew was not correct. Now I am not sure one can ever know true history as history is history.
Any way I always believed and believe now also that Hindu society had not treated many of its own people properly but I also became aware of Islamic history of India. I saw Islamic terrorism as the continuation of oppression on Hindus for the last 1000 years.It made me communal and I was always there to defend the Hindu way of life. I was more of an anti-Muslim than an Hindu. I wrote strongly against Islam and Muslims in internet discussion. I was drawn to the RSS ideology and believed that an eye for an eye was required to fight Islamic terrorism.

As time went by and with more experiences I realized that we are all trapped in the times we live in. All societies go through the communal and liberal cycle.
The best societies are the ones which are liberal. Liberalism is what liberates all of us. Liberalism leads to modernism. Liberalism leads to happiness.
To be a liberal is tough and to be a communal is easy. The struggle between a liberal and a communal still goes on. I hope the liberal wins my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment